The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

Request recommendation for a probate broker for UK inheritance matters + other info.


Can anybody please recommend a probate broker for UK inheritance matters?
Are they cheaper than contentious probate solicitors?
What is the tax rate for inheritance from a UK family estate (£500K)?



If the person in question died in the UK and the estate is subject to UK inheritance tax (there might be some to pay, there might not, it depends on the circumstances, but the important issue is that it was subject to the UK tax regime), then there will be no Belgian tax to pay.

May 4, 2019 10:21

Haven't you asked this question already?

Personally, I would suggest that you get a solicitor local to where the deceased lived, or where their assets are based.

For UK Inheritance tax rates, see here:

May 4, 2019 11:05

What is a probate broker, I am not sure they exist in the UK?

Probate you can organise for yourself if you are sure you know what you're doing (most of us don't), so then you need a solicitor.

Also, inheritance tax is complicated by personal circumstances so you would need advice., about your exact situation.

May 5, 2019 14:54

Obtaining a grant of probate requires the executor to attend personally the prescribed probate office in the UK, possibly more than once. If you have been nominated in the deceased person's will as executor (and presumably you have to be asking these questions) then either you formally renounce that role (which may present difficulties if you were nominated as sole executor) or you follow the rules.

May 5, 2019 20:56

There is very little point in giving "advice" here as much of it will probably be wrong.

Not least that it "requires the executor to attend personally". There is no need to attend personally, and much (if not all) of a grant of probate can even be done by post and without a solicitor.

However given that the original poster doesn't appear to have even the most basic understanding of the UK legal system (asking about (sic) "contentious probate solicitors" vs. "probate brokers"), I would suggest they take the advice that WEZEMBEEKWANDERER offered in the answer to the posters question last week and contact the law society to get a solicitor who will be able to advise them.

May 5, 2019 21:36

Thank you Anon. Why do people ignore advice and keep posting same questions!

May 6, 2019 23:15