- Daily & Weekly newsletters
- Buy & download The Bulletin
- Comment on our articles
Brussels resumes search for the best prawn croquettes
Brussels has relaunched its competition to find the best prawn croquettes in the capital, for a third year running.
Fernand Obb Delicatessen won the inaugural award two years ago, having been open for business for less than six months. Last year, with a new jury, it won again by a mile.
"There's no secret except that we actually put grey prawns in the croquettes," said owner Cédric Mosbeux. "Many places that offer homemade croquettes put very small amounts of the prawns in their croquettes. Here our croquettes are almost 40% prawns."
Mosbeux has been awarded an honorary trophy and the award's organiser, Visit.brussels, has appointed him as a member of the jury for this year's competition.
The call for applications for the third Brussels prawn croquette competition is now open until 20 September. Candidates can register via emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
To take part, applicants must own a restaurant, cafe, deli counter or food truck that is open and located in the Brussels-Capital region and offer homemade à la carte prawn croquettes.
In their assessments, the jury of food journalists will use a scoring grid to establish a ranking for the products they taste. The distribution of points will be based on several criteria, including crunchiness, taste and prawn quality.
The winner of this year's event will be entitled to use the title of "best prawn croquette in Brussels" for the entire year following the announcement of the results.
Here was last year's top 10:
- Fernand Obb Delicatessen (Rue de Tamines 27, Saint-Gilles)
- The 1040 (Place Jourdan 1, Etterbeek)
- Beaucoup Fish (Rue Van Gaver 2, Brussels)
- Le Rossini (Boulevard Adolphe Max 7, Brussels)
- Les Caves d’Alex (Rue Eugène Cattoir 14, Ixelles)
- Lola (Place du Grand Sablon 33, Brussels)
- Aux Armes de Bruxelles (Rue des Bouchers 13, Brussels)
- Racine Carrée (Chaussée de Waterloo 1127, Uccle)
- Les Petits Bouchons (Chaussée d'Alsemberg 832, Uccle)
- Les Brasseries Georges (Avenue Winston Churchill 259, Uccle)