Search form

menu menu

Working & residing in Ireland and working for a Brussels based company


I was wondering if anyone could advise.
I currently work for a Brussels-based AISBL and will move home to Ireland shortly. My boss would like me to continue working with the AISBL. Could anyone advise about where I would pay tax (Ireland, Belgium or both) and whether I can continue to work as a regular employee or need to become self-employed.
thanks in advance,


You pay tax where you reside. i.e. in Ireland.

You will also need to pay social security.

Given that your boss would like you to continue working for them, ask him to ask the company that handles your payroll.

Nov 12, 2019 22:31

You have several options, but you'll need to talk to someone who's familiar with Irish law to work out which one is best for you.

Start with an Irish accountant who deals with freelancers.

Nov 13, 2019 11:48

To be honest I am not sure, but if you have been working for this company for a while, probably better to stay on their payroll and Belgian employment law. You will pay tax in Ireland if resident there and as Anon says their payroll company should be able to arrange it.
Working as a freelancer has some advantages but you will have a lot of costs in tax and social security and lose any employment rights.
Speak to an Irish accountant and a Belgian one.

Nov 14, 2019 07:54