The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu



While I was in the US, I bought a popcorn maker, and I also got a transformator (which was in a set with several adaptors), assuming that this would work in Belgium. However, it doesn't work. Could anybody recommend me a transformator that would work with this kind of machine? It runs on approximately 1800 Watt.


You buy transformers based on voltage, not wattage. Is it a standard 110v US appliance? If so a cheap one like this will work fine:

Jan 20, 2019 10:28

Unless you have some idea of why it doesn't work, you risk buying another one that also won't work.
Does the one that you bought in the US convert 220v (European standard) supply to 110v (US standard) or is it the other way round? I suspect that what you can buy in the US will be intended to allow you to use 220v equipment over there rather than 110v equipment elsewhere.

Jan 20, 2019 11:57

Take what you have bought to the recycling park, and then go and buy a popcorn maker which is meant to be used here. Neither appliance that you currently have will bear the CE (European conformity) marking that is required on electrical equipment used here, and trying to use them will invalidate your household insurance policy.
A lot of electronic equipment that is marked 110-230v ~ (and CE) is safe to use here because the electronics sort the voltage out and they have minimal current draw but that will never apply to an appliance rated at 1,800 watts unless there is a physical switching arrangement between the two voltage groups (and such equipment is rare these days).

Jan 20, 2019 15:45

This is what you need.ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1548003627&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=220v%2Bto%2B110v%2Bconverter&dpPl=1&dpID=410YtsTA6CL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Jan 20, 2019 18:02

The adapter suggested by CM above, will melt / explode / burn out the moment you turn it on. It is rated to 75 W and your popcorn maker needs 1800 W.

Personally I would never use a device with such a high power draw on a transformer, but if you must, then you should get an industrial strength one as suggested by SN.

Jan 20, 2019 18:28

The device mentioned above will cost you well over €120.00.
For that price you can buy 4 new popcorn makers - and a bag of corn to pop.

Jan 20, 2019 22:10