The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu



I'm an Iranian living in Belgium. I hold a PhD of English literature from Singapore. I would like to know how to become a qualified teacher in Belgium?
Can I teach at private schools in Belgium with my current degree?
Thank you


There is a very comprehensive resource here on becoming a teacher in the Belgian (French Language) state system. I assume there is an equivalent for the Flemish Language system.

If you don't speak and write fluent French or Flemish, then you have virtually no chance whatsoever of getting a teaching job in a Belgian state school.

Your best bet would be to contact the private international schools or language schools, such as Berlitz.

Apr 16, 2017 11:06

You could try the British School of Brussels:

or perhaps contact the British Council.

Or offer to tutor children privately.

Apr 16, 2017 14:19

Thanks for your replies. Do certificates such as DELTA, CELTA help in finding a teaching position at Belgium schools?
How and where can I apply for a teacher training certificate or course?

Apr 16, 2017 18:01

I think it dep nds do you mean you want to teach children or adult? As far as I am aware of your highest qualification is PhD you should in theory anyway be able to teach in some places with just a PhD. Why not just send a cv to all the international schools you can find information for. From what I understand a qualification to teach isn't always a requirement if your level is high enough but I could be wrong. However if you want to teach English as a Foreign Language then the best thing to do is approach a language school I think here are certain certificates that one needs they could advise you better on what these are and where to get them here.

Apr 17, 2017 09:22

Q - "Do certificates such as DELTA, CELTA help in finding a teaching position at Belgium schools?"

A - If you mean Belgian state schools, the answer is no.

You may be able to work at some of the international schools, but they typically have more applications than there are jobs, and they don't typically need English teachers. Or you could try some of the language schools, such as Berlitz, Amira CLL

Berlitz -
Amira -

See also these questions:

Apr 17, 2017 10:30

Try the EU schools too and the Belgian Universities.

Apr 17, 2017 11:24

Most of the answers here seem to think that you want to teach English, but with a Phd in English literature I would think (and I could be wrong) that you want to teach literature (and that you may not actually be qualified to teach the language as a language), in which case there could very well be an opening at one of the international schools. Good luck!

Apr 18, 2017 10:31

Dear all, thanks so much for your responses and comments. They would be of great help to me.

Apr 19, 2017 08:37