The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

Tax return help


I've been quoted €500+ for help with my tax return, which seems a bit high to me. I moved to Belgium last year and have both foreign and Belgian income which makes things quite complicated so don't think I can complete it on my own. Any recommendations for reliable accountants who might charge less?



You can get help for free from your local tax office.

Without knowing how "complicated" your foreign income is, it's impossible to say how much anyone would charge.

How much are you prepared to pay?

May 30, 2019 10:51

I went yesterday to the tax office listed on my tax paperwork - details on the front right of the red form and below the fold - and they completed it for me. They have done so for several years and the service is free.
Like you, I have both foreign and Belgian income.
Take all the paperwork and details that you can imagine that they might want.
I'm in Flanders so, as my name is very obviously British, I am usually addressed in English from the start.

May 30, 2019 10:56

The worst that can happen going to the tax office is that they tell you that, because your affairs are complex, you will need to make an appointment with the Inspector so you will have to go back a second time.
The main issue with income from overseas that is denominated in a currency other than the euro is that you have to find an equitable way of converting to euros for the declaration. I keep spreadsheets active throughout the year for both myself and my wife on which I record income as it occurs day-by-day, together, if necessary, with the day's exchange rate so that I can append the equivalent amount in euros. I include copies of the signed spreadsheets with my tax return each year and the fisc accepts that.

May 30, 2019 13:45

Thanks both for your replies. In the UK I paid about £170 for my self-assessment and was expecting something broadly similar. I work both in the UK and Belgium and are taxed at source in both countries (not self-employed) + a small UK rental income but nothing more complicated than that.
I've understood my UK income will push my Belgian one into a higher tax bracket so expecting a tax hit, but want to make sure I claim any expenses correctly to mitigate that.
Great idea though to check with the local tax office, I'm also in Flanders and English generally seems to work well here.

May 30, 2019 13:49

Thanks Becasse, didn't even consider this. I only receive foreign income on a monthly basis so shouldn't need more than one exchange rate day per month. Any ideas if they will ask for details from my full UK self assessment (which isn't complete) or will payslips be enough?

May 30, 2019 13:57

Official exchange rate 2018 £ to € is 1:1.1313
Yes you must keep details of all UK income, but may not be asked for it if you use SPF Finances to help complete.

May 30, 2019 14:17

Foreign currency isn't an issue. The ECB have reference rates that can be used. In fact, the Belgian (and many other European) tax authorities actively encourage you to use them as they are published "official" rates, and are the ones used by the FISC themselves.

From what you've described, you taxes aren't complicated. As suggested already, go along to the local tax office and ask.

May 30, 2019 15:19

It is much to high. I paid 250 euro at an accountant.

May 31, 2019 15:31