The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

Special Tax Status & Permanet residence


Does anybody knows if the you can apply for permanet residence if you have special tax status?
Does years are taken into the account?


You’re not providing enough information. If you are talking about the expat tax scheme, you take up residence here but you and your company will be signing papers making it clear that you are on temporary secondment to Belgium. Strangely you can buy a house.

Sep 23, 2020 00:24
Feldmann Eugene

I have permanent contract, the only difference we will apply for special tax regime

Sep 23, 2020 07:32

There is a very good summary of the scheme at
Normally it has a 5 year limit but with creative accountants I had it for 14 years. I bought a house here, got divorced here, educated children in the Belgian system etc. I paid social security for 5 years in my home country and then switched to Belgian social security.

Sep 23, 2020 07:45

As your "special tax status" is applied for and held by your employer, not you, you should speak to them.

Your tax status and your residence status are different things. They are related, but one does not necessarily impact the other.

Whether you own or rent a property has no impact whatsoever on your residence status in belgium. There are plenty of people who own homes in Belgium that are not resident here, just as there are plenty of "residents" who rent property.

Sep 23, 2020 09:57

I hope your contract reflects the benefits that both you and your employer will get. Every qualifying day that you work out of the country is tax free. But this year travel restrictions will affect a lot of expats. The company can also lower your gross salary substantially by paying you housing allowance etc. This will reduce your pension contributions if you get one but will also reduce their social security costs.

Sep 24, 2020 00:17