The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

Small business exempt of charging VAT


I registered again as an independent after a few years' break, and from previous experience, income will not be anywhere near the 25,000 € upper limit. I consulted my old accountant, who said I don't need to ask or notify the authorities that I'm opting for exemption from charging VAT. t just need to file a report after less than a year. I have a slightly paranoid personality (!) and I'd like to confirm that this is so. If I get indications otherwise, I'll go ask another accountant.


Unlike UK there is no min limit for vat exemption, here it depends on the profession.

Its better to check with another accountant and importantly document this to avoid surprises

Jul 5, 2017 21:55

Don't bother with an accountant if you're earning less than 25k. You must tell the vat people you want to change regime and indicate that regime on your invoices. Call your VAT office. They will help.

Jul 5, 2017 22:37

Sorry yes there is a new limit. if you earn less than 25k you can opt for the no vat regime. you still need to be registered for vat and of course you can't deduct vat on expenses.

Jul 5, 2017 23:18

Thanks AXEL.
I will use the accountant only once a year.
I did get a vat number. I called the vat office but they will only speak in Dutch. I will get someone to write me a few lines in Dutch and send them as email. That way I'm in the clear and they will tell me if there is anything else I need to do.
Thanks again.

Jul 5, 2017 23:45

Aug 25, 2017 09:33