The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

Registering with commune and income tax


Hello all,

I have been residing and working in Belgium for one year a a half. However I have never registered with the commune. Now I am supposed to receive my tax declarations but I have not received anything.
Do you have any idea what I should do? I am already going to register this week. But what about the tax declaration?


Its wired how you manage to work without being registered. May be you worked in the black market. Because despite where you are from you have to have a national number in order to be entitled to work. Otherwise you are just visitor. There are no tax forms in your name as you have no address in Belgium that's logic I guess

Jun 5, 2017 19:50

hmmm, but even though my employer was subtracting income tax from my salary?

Jun 5, 2017 20:15

Whose national number is on your payslip?

Jun 5, 2017 21:05

Failure to register is potentially quite a serious offence, and if you have been here a year and a half already, it is possible that you should have received tax forms last year, albeit that it is unlikely that you would have had any tax to pay. It isn't just your employer who needs your National Number, it rules your health care too, and, since your bank needs it, how are you getting paid?

Jun 5, 2017 23:41

Go and register ASAP. It's a mess and you need to sort it out, and this is the place to start.

Jun 6, 2017 13:14
Mark L-W

As said earlier you need to register NOW.
Failure to do so is a major offence and it is possible you may be subject to a serious penalty, it is possible that you have been advised badly but ask nicely at the Gemeentehuis and they will advise you. I find they tend to be sympathetic.

Jun 6, 2017 23:43