The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

Proof of income



I hope somebody can help me or perhaps been in a similar situation.

The fee for the creche our child is attending(the creche is associated with an international institution) is dependent on family income. I got laid off last year and have not been collecting unemployment because we can live off my wife's income and I can supplement this with investment income(which varies a lot). So I don't consider myself unemployed and do not wish to register for this benefit as I am not looking for a job, but will stay at home looking after our children and family affairs.

The creche asked now, the day before the deadline that we provide some proof of (or lack of income) from my side or they will charge us the full amount. Fyi, I am in the process now of being transferred to my wife's health plan so I don't have to pay social contributions which I believe should put me in the clear with regards to have health insurance. My current health insurance is still valid until U

I received a redundancy package and a C40 form from my previous employer. The creche rejected the C40 form, saying they need to know how much I receive in unemployment benefits. The issue is, as stated, I have no intention to register for unemployment benefits as I am not looking for a job.

My question is, how can I provide any kind of proof of my income situation. I don't think I can get the unemployment agency to make a statement that I am not getting any money from them.

I would be grateful for any answers, as I have no clue what to do. I imagine though that there must be some trailing spouses who are in a similar situation

Thank you


You can't. You are dependent on your wife's, therefore it's her income information that you need to provide (= family income).

Feb 27, 2018 10:39

It's not clear from your post what you want to do. Do you want to prove you don't have income or that you do have income? You have investment income but you don't want to declare it?

Feb 28, 2018 03:16

I've actually never heard of anyone likely to be entitled to unemployment benefit rejecting it.

Why don't you just claim what you've paid for?

Feb 28, 2018 23:13

I dont like to depend on anyone and I dont want hand outs. Furtheremore if I applied they would harasss me to get a job and I am not looking for one.

Mar 1, 2018 09:45

"I dont like to depend on anyone and I dont want hand outs. Furtheremore if I applied they would harasss me to get a job and I am not looking for one."

So you don't want "handouts" from the Belgian state (actually unemployment benefit isn't a handout here, it is an entitlement), but then you complain because the creche that your child attends won't give you reduced fees - ie a "handout" - because you can't prove that you have zero earned income of your own, even though your household clearly does have adequate income.

I suspect that eventually you are going to have an "interesting" time with the fisc who are unlikely to believe that you have zero income even though you refuse to claim unemployment benefit. If you think that it is difficult proving to the creche that you have zero income, just wait until you have to prove to the fisc that you aren't earning anything in the black.

Mar 1, 2018 10:20

Why do you assume that I wont declare any income....

Mar 1, 2018 11:13

You don't have any income, but perhaps you do have some investment income, you don't want handouts, but you do want subsidized creche fees. It doesn't make any sense.

My suggestion would be for you to get an accountant and sort yourself out.

Probably best to start now before you end up in some car crash financial situation with the fisc.

Mar 1, 2018 23:13

You dont seem to underdtand the difference of money going in and out. Unemployment benefits for somebody who dont need ot like my in my optic is a handout. Wanting to pay less for a creche who have parents with high incomes that dont pay Belgian income taxes and hence can afford extremely high fees is money going out. A cost. I only want to pay what reflects my familys income situation. Why should I pay the maximum amount. I am already subsidizing this creche with my taxes
If everybody were as resposible as me and not depending on the state to bail them out we would all psy a lot less taxes. Go figure.

Mar 2, 2018 09:48

@ "B" - "I am already subsidizing this creche with my taxes"

This statement shows why your situation doesn't make sense to me.

You have income, and you're paying taxes. Therefore it doesn't make any sense why you can't declare that income for the purposes of claiming a reduction in your creche fees.

Mar 2, 2018 10:28

My income is dependent on capital gains. I can not predict it....

Mar 2, 2018 10:57