The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

Problem with windows


Hi all,

I have a recurring problem with windows at my apartment and my landlord is reluctant to do something. Minor repairs will not help as the frames are too old. I have been reminding him several times in recent years to change the window but the usual response - it is too expensive.
This month with current weather we twice had moments when the water was coming through the frame which never happened before and, had it happen in our absence, water could damage the window and even the floor. I am surely going to inform him about this but knowing his attitude my question is: are there any legal leverages to make him to change the windows. any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.


You say you have been there for some years so give the required three clear months notice and move somewhere else.

Jan 30, 2019 13:21


at the moment I do not have that luxury to move. Any other more constructive suggestions about LEGAL actions in this case would be more than welcome.

Jan 30, 2019 14:43

Your only legal option is:

1) Send a letter (registered with proof of delivery) to the landlord stating the problems and asking for a date for the repairs to be made.

2) If nothing happens after the date has expired, go to a Juge de Paix, and ask that the landlord be forced to make the repair.

Jan 30, 2019 16:49


thanks. will try this!

Jan 30, 2019 19:18

Move and leave the problem behind.

Jan 30, 2019 23:11

Never withhold rent to get a landlord to take action. Take photos, follow the legal procedures, don’t give up. Possibly ask your insurer what they think and if they can exert pressure to avoid water damage.

Jan 31, 2019 00:06

Agree ANON. Protect yourself in addition by taking photos of the window frames, close-ups of where the leaks come in, and the floor below.

Feb 1, 2019 20:12