The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

permanent residence


Hello, I am a non-EU citizen and I have been studying in Belgium for 5 years now. I wanted to ask if I can apply for permanent residence in Belgium. I know normally you can if you have lived here for 5 years but in my case, it was as a student. Does someone have any idea if it is possible or not? thankyou!


Most likely not since you need to show you have worked for 5 years. Maybe they consider student time as half the time so you may need to work for atleast 2.5 years. Best to ask your cityhall.

Jun 13, 2019 10:42

I think it's five years employment and paying taxes.

Jun 13, 2019 19:10


Jun 13, 2019 22:16

Students are resident at their parent's house. You need 5 years of residency, not 5 years of just being in the country.

Jun 13, 2019 23:50

If you are a simple non EU student and your residence permit n Belgium is due to studies, none of those years count for permanent residence, the clock starts once you are resident due to work, self sufficiency, cohabitation with an EU national or permanent resident, marriage with an EU national or permanent resident.

Jun 14, 2019 08:28

"Maybe they consider student time as half the time"

No they absolutely do not!

Jun 14, 2019 15:49

Sudent time does not count towards permanent residency.
The only case it could count in the proportion 2:1 if you find a job here in Belgium on the profession you studied.

Jun 18, 2019 11:42


Did someone obtained recently D or B residence permit while he is under special tax regime for expat (RSI)?

Is it true that the the time spent under RSI will not be taken into account for the 5 years residence calculation ?

Thank you in advance.

Apr 18, 2020 09:15