Search form

menu menu

Pedestrian crossing car accident


Can someone please advise on the steps You take to report a pedestrian crossing car accident in Brussels from the point of view of the pedestrian hit?


Call the police on 112. All accidents where someone is injured should be reported.

Sep 13, 2016 17:00

If there is any injury whatsoever, you call the police.
If there are no injuries and you agree on the facts, you fill in an accident form.

Sep 13, 2016 17:05

I just kicked the side of his car to a pulp. Amazing how easy those French cars collapse. Much simpler, presuming you can still kick. Seemed he thought pedestrians needed to giver way to him, and he only need stop when they are actually in front of him. Expensive lesson. But yea, call the police.

Sep 13, 2016 19:11

MikeK: In other words he wasn't driving in a way that he would hit you but was next to you in the crosswalk? And you think you did the right thing? Grow up.

Sep 13, 2016 22:05

Perhaps you should clarify the situation before telling people to grow up, R.HARRIS? Even in Belgium, when it is clear a pedestrian is about to step on a crossing, the car driver needs to stop. This driver decided that it was going to be me and my wife that stopped for his car. Having had to stop and glaring at us as we crossed, he then hit the gas with screeching tires missing my trailing foot by about an inch. Still, spinning on my heal and planting my boot firmly in his passenger door did the trick. Grow up? Perhaps, but he started it. ;-)

Sep 14, 2016 08:32

Good luck with any claim my son was knocked off of his bike by a car turning right he had a cycle crossing and a green light to go on the cycling crossing. Fortunately he wasn't hurt but the local fireman who saw it called the medics and the police. His bike was damaged and he was taken to hospital in a neck collar then released after a check up.
No matter how much chasing a Flemish friend did for us and despite the police telling us my son was in the right and they had fined the driver for not stopping we were unable to recover out out of pocket expenses from his insurance company

Sep 20, 2016 08:36

To hijack the question to comment on what CC-R writes.
I don't know exactly what you tried regarding 'out of pocket expenses from his insurance company' but, in principle you never will be able to directly as you have no contract with them.
If the driver did not inform his insurers - and why would he if he was not making a claim - they only have your word for whatever happened. Your only recourse is to get a legal entity - notaris or solicitor - to claim directly from the driver on your behalf. You clearly have a valid claim but you cannot make it against his insurers.

Sep 20, 2016 13:44