The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

Need help here in Belgium!


Hi There,

I’m a Masters student who just moved 6 month ago to Belgium.

I got my pink card from the town-hall after registering with an address.

But the problem is my card has limited amount of working hours.

Anybody knows what to do to get an unlimited work status? I’m loosing a lot of job opportunities because of my card status.

One last question, if i renew this card for three consecutive years, can i apply for a Belgian passport? Or a student resident card doesn’t count?

I also speak french fluently and i race for a local belgian team.


Your card has limited hours because you are here to study, not work.
You don’t say what nationality you are. Applying for Belgian nationality normally requires you to have been officially resident here and paid social security for at least 5 years. And that is for EU citizens.
Your town hall will have a foreigners section. Talk to them.

Jan 22, 2020 23:56

if you want to have full time job, you need to ask your potential employer to request a work permit for you and thus your status will be changed form student to employee, though it is not that easy and not every employer will do this. Besides you need to check how will it affect your studies.
Even if you get your work permit, you will have to work for consequitive 5 YEARS every year requesting prolongation of the work permit and your residence card. Once you reach 5 years you will be able to change your temporary residence permit for a permanant one (card B or D). And only then you will be eligible to apply for citizenship.

Jan 28, 2020 17:00