Search form

menu menu

My mother moving to Belgium permanently [family reunion?]


I recently got Belgian citizenship. Back in my motherland (a non-EU country), I only have a mother who is 65 years old; my father passed away. She is a retired school teacher (with a pension). She absolutely alone.

I have been thinking about whether there is a possibility for her to move to Belgium. She loves to spend more time with us and her grandchildren. For every visit, she has to go through visa applications, rejections, etc. We are really tired of this process and she is willing to move.

Is this somehow possible?

Many thanks


Yes it's possible. The application is called Family Reunification for Dependent Ascendent. For this application to go through successfully, you will need to show that she is dependent on you, primarily financially. To prove that, you will have to show money transfers of roughly 600 Euro/month for around 6 months or so to her bank account in your home country plus everything else required logically for this particular application.

In case my info is not the most updated, it would be nice of you to provide latest info in case you come across it during the application process.

Aug 27, 2022 21:31

The thing is, my mother is not dependent on me. She is on a pension and has a property to live in. Moreover, she lives in Iran, and unfortunately, the Iranian financial system is under severe sanctions. Therefore, the banking network is completely isolated from the world.

Aug 27, 2022 22:03

This is something that can only be clarified at a much higher level than this. You'll have to start with your commune as there are so many variations in each case.
I was involved many years ago and one of the determining factors then was whether the incomer would be a financial burden on the Belgian state.
Although she has a pension and a home, would her pension be payable here? And, if she sold her home, would she be able to bring the proceeds - plus any savings - out of the country?
Although she is not currently dependent on you, it is possible - even probable - that she would be so if she were able to move here.

Aug 28, 2022 10:53

I think then you should use the services of a qualified lawyer (Fragomen for example) to go about the pension issue and the sanction restrictions.

Aug 30, 2022 09:23

Thank you so much. I definitely need to find a qualified lawyer. Is Fragomen this:

Aug 31, 2022 12:38

yes, thats the one.

Sep 4, 2022 23:42