The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

Living in Belgium, work for UK company


I am going to move to Brussels soon to live there with my boyfriend.
Fortunately, I managed to keep working remotely for the current company here in the UK.

Do you know where I have to pay my income tax, PAYE, NI?
If I understood correctly, I will pay the taxes in Belgium but can't really find the correct information.
I would like not to pay the national insurance in the UK as I won't use it and I would prefer to get an health insurance in Belgium.

Many thanks!!


You pay tax to the UK on your UK income.
You declare your UK income to the Belgian Fisc.

Cannot answer on NI.

You can get health insurance here based on UK NI contributions though.

Feb 13, 2017 19:37

You would actually prefer to pay National Insurance in the U.K. as it's half the level of the equivalent charge here.

Feb 13, 2017 19:58

When I moved here without a Belgium-based job I was included on my girl-friend's mutuelle as her dependent. Once you are registered here you have to have mutuelle cover.
I don't think you will have an option over UK NI though your HR people should be able to confirm for you. For example, if you have private health insurance in the UK, you still pay NI. Don't forget that your NI also includes your UK state pension contributions so, if you don't pay in, you will not get a full pension when the time comes.

Feb 14, 2017 10:16