The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

Living in Belgium from the UK. Working in Netherlands.


Hey guys

I've just moved from the UK to Belgium to stay with my girlfriend who is also from the UK. She is studying at Maastricht university, so we live close to the border.

I'm a little bit confused in terms of making a bank account, as well as registering at the town hall, since I'm only going to be here 3 years, and also backwards and forwards. I've heard I need health insurance to register, but as soon as I get that, I'm no longer liable to UK NHS treatment? I plan on receiving treatment when I go back during the summer. What would be the best course of action?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me.


If you're going to be living in Belgium you need to register at the commune.

As for health insurance, are you employed in the Netherlands, or in the U.K.?

If you are entitled to healthcare in Belgium or the Netherlands, you can also get (essentially emergency) UK healthcare under the European Health Card system. For longer term healthcare, you access that in the country you are resident in and where you pay your social security / mutuelles contributions.

Jan 11, 2017 13:09

Hi if you can get cover from a mutelle I would the health care is very good and for many things you would get better and faster treatment than in the uk. To be honest they often don't check up in the uk so if you can leave an address with a GP say a parents on the record in the uk and use them when you go back I would,and unlikely they wil twig your not there full time. I'm not clear if you have to show health insurance or not for the commune but you are obligied to register if you're living here and may possibly have to explain how you will support yourself to them

Jan 12, 2017 16:09