The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

Lawyer - Money problems with ex-roomie.


So this is the thing:

A former roommate owes me money because of the rent of the apartment. We are both non-European working professionally. This person has just disappeared and does not respond to any messages, but I do know where he is currently working. He now lives in Germany and I live in Belgium (Brussels).

Any kind of suggestion of where to start? Any suggestions from lawyers? Will it be worthwhile to start legal action in these kind of cases?

Thanks in advance guys.


The problem is...
Your name is in the tenancy agreement and the bills and you don't have a written agreement between you?

Feb 8, 2018 13:59

If his name is not on the lease, you are stuck. The chances of getting your money back are very small. Using a lawyer will clock up large fees with no guarantee of a result. I am afraid that you will probably have to put this down to experience.

Feb 9, 2018 19:58

You could try writing to him if you don’t have his address use his work one, state that u less he pays you you will seek a court order maybe that will work. Otherwise I’m not sure easy it is to peruse for money outside the. Country even if you have proof unless it thousand and thousands it may cost more than it’s worth

Feb 12, 2018 08:11

Phone his boss and tell him that he owes you money for drugs. Do this a few times. You won't get your money back but you will at least feel satisfied that you have got him back.

Feb 13, 2018 16:05