The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

Insurance covering rent-related disputes


We are moving to Belgium soon and I have been reading the Q&A here. Many posts relate to problems with landlords. My impression is that having a legal insurance covering rent-related disputes can be a good idea in Belgium. Can anybody suggest a policy?


From the archives

I don't think that you need legal insurance. A lease in Belgium is a very detailed document. You just need to understand it fully. If you are not fluent in the language in which the lease is written then have it translated, and READ IT. Alternatively take the lease to a notaire or a lawyer and have him read it and advise you as to whether or not you should sign it. The lease is a fair document for both parties. Most postings about lease problems in this column are due to people either not bothering to read and understand the lease. I have been both a tenant and a landlord in Brussels and the standard leases are fair to both sides. Just make sure that you are getting a standard lease. The lawyer and/or notaire can advise you of this.

Aug 30, 2011 16:07