Inscription in the Commune, or not?
I'm having some trouble finding out if I should really make my inscription in the Commune or not. These are the facts so far for me:
- I work for a portuguese company, who pays my salary and do all my discounts for tax purposes and social security in Portugal. My fiscal address is in Portugal, and my wife and daughter both live here (in Portugal).
- Last August, my company was hired by another Consultant company working in the EU (Council), and I was given "the gigg" to go to Brussels and start working there, as an external consultant (no nice commodities included, as all interns in the EU institutions have).
- I stayed in Brussels until November, and my company and I decided before that, in September, to rent an apartment near the Council for two reasons: easy access to work and less expensive than staying in hotels for months.
- Now, at this time, my landlord told me I should make my inscription in the commune, so I send an email (it's for Brussels center - 1000) with already the rent contract, my portuguese ID and a declaration from my company that I am working in Brussels since August (but not all the time...).
- After all these months, in February, the Commune sent an email with a rendez-vous to go there and sign the request of inscription and provide an annexe 19 bis with my employer's data.
- My company has no inscription whatsoever in Belgium, even more because we are being subcontracted by the other Consultant company from Luxembourg that provides officially the services to the EU Council. I'm basically a subcontracted by a subcontrat (if this makes sense to you).
- Now everyone is saying that I should have never asked for an inscription. In the commune, I asked that my request would be annulled, but they told me that they had already created a number for me, that I had to pay the €25,00 (I did) and gave me two choices: I continue the process and ask my company to fill the 19 bis or... and this is where I got scared: I cancel my inscription, but because they already have my rent contract (that lasts until this September) they will charge me (or my company) with a fee of €1.700,00 for "having a second house in another country of the EU".
- My questions: Is this law for real, or where they just trying to scare me to stay inscribed? Should I try to inscribe again (I ended up cancelling it)? If I'm inscripted, should I have to pay double taxation (in Portugal and in Belgium)?
- My maximum stay in Belgium until now has been of 3 months, but it can increase to 4/5 months, maximum. Then I return to Portugal where I usually stay for 1, 2 or 3 months until I have to get back to continue working in the EU project.
I really apreciate any opinions from everyone.
Thank you in advance,