Search form

menu menu

IMporting UK car


Morning all,

I have read about the process for importing a UK car and it looks fairly (!) simple...lots of paperwork.

However, to get through the road worthiness test I am wondering what to o about my headlamps. Will it be acceptable to use headlamp converters stuck onto the lights or should I really be thinking about changing the headlamp assembly from a UK version to a European version?

Any advice or help is gratefully received.



I have known folk import cars and they have always been required to change the headlights completely.

I think the converters are ok for visitors but not for an import but maybe some one else can reference the regulations?

Feb 15, 2018 09:08

Thanks for the advice. I thought that may be the case. I can buy the headlamp assembly in the UK and have them installed here which may make it cheaper.

Feb 15, 2018 10:30

You will need to have both headlamp assemblies changed, the cost of which will depend on the technology of your current ones. Keep the old ones so that they can be replaced in the car if you return it to the UK at any time, remembering that the secondhand value of RHD cars is going to be low here.

You will also need to obtain a Certificate of Conformity at a surprisingly high cost for a piece of paper. Note too that the required Controle Technique isn't just about roadworthiness, but a thorough check that your car conforms with its CoC AND Belgian regulations - you will need a fire extinguisher located so as to be readily accessible to the driver, for example - and that it conforms with Custom's requirements for self-importation.

Feb 15, 2018 10:32

Thank you for the advice. I have researched the Certificate of Conformity costs and cannot believe that I have to pay for a piece of paper that confirms my car is legal! Still, needs must...

I assume that the check they conduct should be easier for a Peugeot?

We have all the high viz, fire extinguisher, first aid kit etc already.

Slowly getting ready.

Feb 16, 2018 07:37

The check they conduct will be the same for any make of car that already has a Certificate of Conformity. They play it by the book, quietly and efficiently, just as they have been trained to.

Don't forget that they will check your insurance too. A broker will be able to insure the car using its VIN. You will find insurance costs more here.

Feb 16, 2018 13:58

I understand that there will be some costs but things need to be done correctly. We need the family car....

Feb 16, 2018 17:19

You can run the car on your current UK insurance for a couple of months. Make sure it's MOTed.

Then contact a Belgian insurance broker once you've moved. They will explain everything you have to do.

You will have to get the headlamps replaced and put it through an extended Controle Technique. That should be it. And pay taxes. Again, your insurance broker will be able to advise.

Feb 17, 2018 12:44

I've been through this procedure and it was straightforward. The trickiest part was locating the Customs office!! Becasse is correct: the headlamps have to be replaced and I also had the fog lamp moved to the other side. Luckily I already had the Cert of Conformity, as it would have cost €200 to get one!!! Do hang on to the original lamps. I recently sold my RHD vehicle (via a Belgian dealership when I bought a new car).

Feb 18, 2018 11:47

Thank you all for the advice. It’s very helpful.

One last

I’ve owned the car for over a year so I understand that there is no import or VAT (or equivalent) in zbelgium. Is this correct?

Feb 18, 2018 17:11

IIRC, you have to pay VAT again if it's less than 6 months old. Over 12 months, you're almost certainly OK.

Feb 18, 2018 20:52