The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

ID Card


My son is a UK citizen and has lived in Belgium all his life. He has been living in a non-European country for the past couple of years and was not there when the commune police visited. He has been stuck where he is over the ladt year because of Covid travel restrictions. The policeman claimed that he would be struck off the commune register. Can they do this? What can be done to avoid this?


Yes, of course they can, and he will almost certainly lose his right to reside in Belgium. However, don't worry, the British will let him in.

Mar 26, 2021 14:07

If your son isn't a child in your care, or under 25 and in full time education, then unfortunately, he is unlikely to have any rights to reside here. I would suggest that you go to the commune and talk to them about it. However, if as you say, he has been out of the country for a couple of years, then it seems unlikely they can do anything. In the immediate short term he can stay in Belgium up to 90 days without any need for a permit.

Mar 28, 2021 11:27

You don't make it clear whether you are living in Belgium but contact with the commune where your son has been living is the only thing that you can do - although he could do that for himself.
The fact that the only reason that he is not here is because of Covid rules forbidding his move back should count in his favour though, of couse, there is no guarantee that it WILL!

Mar 28, 2021 12:32
Emille B.

why did the policeman come visting for verification ? Theyn only come for verification of residence , when there is a registration at the commune ?

Mar 30, 2021 00:53