The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

Health insurance, social contributions, taxes


I have a question regarding health insurance if you are not paying social contributions. I have been registered in the Belgian health system for many years, having a Mutuelle, SIS card and sending in my invoices etc etc. Recently I got laid off from my work though, but I am not planning on getting a new one as I have enough funds to live off my investment income.

My concern though is, since I will not be paying any social contributions, where do I stand health care wise? For some time, it is business as usual as I am still in my redundancy period, but this will end eventually. Is there a way to get any kind of private insurance and if so, any idea how much it would cost

Until now, my children have been covered by me, but my wife works for an international institution and they can be covered by her workplace, which is fine by me and in principle I could actually also be covered as well through her work.

However, and maybe I am strange in this sense, even if Financially it might be in my best interest, I rather not be covered by her workplace as I don't feel entirely comfortable being supported by my wife. Also, if I choose to have my children continue as now where they are supported through my health insurance, how would that work if I am not paying social contributions?

I understand the best would be to contact my Mutuelle and also a tax accountant, but perhaps here somebody has some experience with this and would be so kind to advice on this

Thank you in advance for all answers


I can't think of a single logical reason that you wouldn't want to be covered by your wife's health insurance, but if that's the way you feel, then you can continue to pay into your mutuelle. Just call them up and they'll tell you how to proceed.

Jan 19, 2018 17:55

"I don't feel entirely comfortable being supported by my wife."

But it's OK for her to be supported by you? Grow up.

Jan 20, 2018 00:03

Sign up for chomage. That will cover you.

Jan 20, 2018 09:38

You cannot register for chomage unless you are seeking employment which you say you do not plan to do. If you are resident in Belgium you will probably have some tax contributions to make which will include social security contributions that would cover health. Otherwise you could be declared as 'dependent' of your wife but that may not work if you have some form of income. You need professional advice as your case is complicated by the fact your wife works for an international organisation. If she works for the EU or NATO she would come under a completely different regime. On the other hand if she is on the regular payroll of an International company and pays tax and social security in Belgium then your children would be covered by her contributions. Also if you have worked here you presumably would be entitled to a Belgian pension depending on your age and how many years you have worked, etc. Well worth getting proper advice on.

Jan 20, 2018 20:34

If the position was the opposite and your wife became unemployed would you not expect to support her? I think you ought to decide that being a trailing spouse isn’t that dreadful and put your pride away. How your health insurance is sorted is nobodies business and no one will know if you claim how it’s paid. I think you seriously need to reconsider your notion

Jan 20, 2018 22:13

@ Bruton03 " You need professional advice"

No he doesn't. He is making a completely arbitrary and unnecessary decision to voluntarily pay mutuelle contributions.

He should just ring up his mutuelle. They will be more than happy to take his money.

Jan 22, 2018 19:31

Hi B,

You can probably get coverage from your Mutuelle as just a 'Resident'. However, that will likely cost you between €700-800 per trimestre, so budget about €250/month, or maybe more depending on your wife's seniority as they will take her income into account when calculating the amount.

And expect a 'does not compute' from them when you try to explain that you don't want to come under her health insurance...

Good luck.

Jan 22, 2018 20:34