Search form

menu menu

Health Fund/Mutuelle Costs


We are moving to live in Belgium in the spring of next year. My husband is taking early retirement and whilst I will eventually look for part time work this wont be for several months (giving us a chance to settle, travel and master the language better). We will, I understand, need to register with a mutuelle for health insurance. As this means we will need to pay for this ourselves rather than an employer can anyone give me an idea of what this is likely to cost per year for 2 adults. I have managed to get a good idea of costs of pretty much everything else but am struggling on this one. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.


It may depend on your nationality and on what existing healthcare arrangements you have.

Have you tried asking a mutuelle?

Nov 20, 2018 15:02
Tee Jay

Hi, sorry I should have said, we are moving from the UK. No I haven't contacted any Mutuelle yet. That may be the way to go but just thought i'd ask on here first. I'm only after an idea of costs.

Nov 20, 2018 16:14

Please make sure you move before Brexit day as there's no telling what might happen thereafter. You'll be covered for basic healthcare stuff like medicines and doctor's appointments. After that, you'll risk becoming a "negotiating chip", as the UK government likes to call its citizens in the EU. And I'd be very cautious about doing this unless you are one of the blessed UK citizens who also have Irish or another EU nationality.

Nov 20, 2018 19:51
Tee Jay

I'm not too worried about Brexit as I believe that we'll still be able to live in another EU country whatever happens, it'll probably just mean there will be more paperwork and a few hoops to go through.
Belgium is our preferred destination but we'll just have to wait and see.

Nov 21, 2018 08:43

You would have to register as "independents" and almost certainly make social security payments based on your total joint income - assuming that the Belgians accept that that income is sufficient to be allowed to live here. Alternatively they may compel you to take out private health insurance (which may not be possible if either of you have a long term health problem unacceptable to insurance companies).
Note that, unlike the UK, residence in Belgium is strictly controlled and if you don't meet the criteria you will be expelled.

Nov 21, 2018 11:03
Sarah Crew

Friends in a similar situation have taken private health insurance. DKV is widely recommended.

Nov 21, 2018 12:23