Search form

menu menu

food allergies


I have had stomach cramps for years. I have seen a gastro man and he can find nothing wrong except inflammation in my stomach. He blames stress for this. I do not think I am stressed and would like tests for food allergies/intolerances . Does anyone know a gastro man who specialises in this aspect of gastro problems.


There is an excellent centre for allergies at St. Luc Hospital in Woluwe. Could find the page in English: they can give a simple 'prick test'

Jul 29, 2015 14:02

Hi Katie, sounds awful you could also try keeping a food and symptom diary. Sometimes we don't notice trends until we write them down. Has your doctor ruled out H Pylori? This is the bug that causes gastric ulcers. Inflammation isn't normal in the stomach. If your not stressed by life or work then yogu are entitled to seek a second opinion if your first doctor didn't help you. So might be worth asking here for a recommendation for a gastro specialist.
Hope you're better soon.

Jul 29, 2015 18:07

Hi Katie,

One non-invasive approach to consider (or add to testing) is an "elimination diet" whereby you eliminate as many potentially irritating foods as possible. Google can help guide you to restricted food lists. I did this for 3 weeks (it was really difficult and I messed up a few times!) but after phasing dairy back in I realized that I must be lactose intolerant. My doctor had me take a lactose breath test that confirmed it! While the answer may not be this obvious for you, if you can manage an elimination diet, you can at least rule out foods that irritate your gut. It may be worth googling "low FODMAP" foods. Cutting out some of these has helped me too.

Good luck. You deserve to feel better!

Aug 2, 2015 00:04

Hi Katie,

I had the same problem and didn't know where it came from (Stress they said ... I never believed it). That finally went away after 1 year.

Be careful if they give you medication to reduce acidity it might stop your intestins from absorbing iron, making you very very weak at times.
I discovered this on my own :/

For the doctor, you might try the clinic in Mérode and have tests there.

Good luck !

Aug 7, 2015 11:04

Hi Katie,

Inflammation is usually indicative of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) such as Cronhn's disease or ulcerative colitis. It could also be suggestive of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), see here:

If you need any dietary advice concerning Irritable Bowel Syndrome or food allergies/ intolerances (perhaps after having received an accurate diagnosis), please see my website for consultation details. I am a UK/ BE registered dietitian.

Aug 13, 2015 11:33

I see an ayurvedic doctor. It takes time but is worth it.
Dr. Verbist : www.rosé

May 24, 2016 17:08