The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

Family regrouping


Woman with Belgian nationality, married to someone from non-EU and living abroad for several years. Husband fully registered in her file. She wants to return to Belgium with her family.
Her husband has a two-year multiple entry visa C (3 month stay). After they arrive here, how can husband extend stay or apply for residence?


I would suggest you ask the Belgian embassy/consulate before you move.

Jul 12, 2017 18:14

Assuming husband is a schengen visa national should apply in advance for a family visa instead. Belgian wife must prove she has the means to financially support husband not other way around.

Jul 12, 2017 19:36

If your husband has a tourist visa you just come to Belgium as tourist and once you have adequate accommodation. You may submit the application at your commune of residence for him to receive F card as you are Belgian/Eu citizen. After you submit your application you have to prove that you can support him financially with at least 1400euro/month.
Your husband will receive an orange card for the moment. If you fulfill all the criteria the commune will invite him to apply for F card within next 6 months which must be renewed every 5 years.
With orange card your husband is allowed to live and work in Belgium but cannot leave Belgium until he receives F card(Similar design as Belgian ID)

Jul 12, 2017 20:10

You could go also via embassy route but will be more expensive as he has to pay for visa and some contribution fees for Belgian government and you have to wait outside Belgium as the application goes through as a result its much more time consuming

Jul 12, 2017 20:14