Search form

menu menu

Driving to UK - which is best passport to use UK or BE?


I'm driving back to the UK in a car with Belgian plates. I have UK and Belgian nationality. I'm wondering which is the best passport to show customs as I leave France to enter the UK. Before Brexit happened I would use my BE passport or else get the third degree on why I'm driving a Belgian car. However, post Brexit I've never taken that trip so am not sure the best to use for a smooth entry. Many thanks for advice.


Belgian eID to leave and re-enter the Schengen zone (French officials), UK passport to enter the UK. Once the various "visa-waiver" arrangements come into force you will have no option but to do it that way.
Incidentally, there are a number of reasons (and not just that you live there) why a British citizen could be driving a Belgian-registered car into the UK. It could, for example, be that you work for a Belgian company and you are driving a company car (just as it is common to see Belgians driving GDL-registered company cars in the part of Belgium where I live).

Sep 13, 2021 21:25

@ Bill "or else get the third degree on why I'm driving a Belgian car"

There most be some other factor at play here. I and many British friends and colleagues travel regularly between the UK and Belgium, both pre and post Brexit, and I'm not aware of anyone ever being questioned about why they are driving a Belgian car.

Are you sure your Belgian car isn't being flagged for some other reason? Wa

Sep 15, 2021 12:40

My car with Belgian plates was only queried once, and the Border Force lady merely said that she assumed that I lived in Belgium - which I confirmed.

Sep 15, 2021 16:00