Search form

menu menu

Dangerous Drugs Prescription Abuse


A GP doctor is prescribing legal but very dangerous and highly addictive drugs to our disturbed adult son without the necessary strict and close psychological supervision. Is there a way to stop this very damaging and totally unethical behaviour, by complaining to a higher authority, for example? And if so, exactly to whom? We are in a truly desperate situation. Many thanks in advance for any advice or counsel.


Your desperate situation is that of your son, who should be treated by a specialist rather than a GP.

Jan 10, 2016 15:33

If he's disturbed enough to be unable to make decisions for himself, talk to a lawyer about how you can become legally responsible for him.

If he's of sane mind, then unfortunately, how he chooses to manage his health is none of your business.

Jan 10, 2016 17:44

Perhaps talk to the CHS for guidance?

Jan 12, 2016 09:17

Unfortunately even in the UK you wouldn't have any say on this matter. Your son has a right to a private relationship with his doctor. You have no right even as a concerned parent to know what they discuss or what mediation your son is given. I'm sorry but it's his rights to a private life versus your right as a parent. If he's an adult you have limited rights. I have a friend whose son was admitted under section in the UK and he refused to allow his doctors to discuss his condition with her or his father. She was distraught, but there was nothing she could do. Even though she suspected he had serious mental health issues he wouldn't allow them to inform her.
If you are seriously concern have you made an appointment with this doctor to discuss your concerns? I'm sure they won't discuss what they day to your son, but you could make them aware of anything you think he isn't telling them. You say that there is no supervision, but the doctor is prescribing these drugs must be able to do so with out the need for clinical supervision as an inpatient. I'm sorry that I can not be more plosives about your rights but I'm afraid you are in a place many people find themselves. Just keep talking in a non judgemental way to your son in the hopes he will confide in you.

Jan 13, 2016 14:03

I imagine you are talking about benzodiazepines.

If this is the case, it is indeed worrying. I'd like to hear more.

May 6, 2016 13:57