Search form

menu menu

Children travelling with grandparents


Hi, my children have Belgian nationality and I will be leaving them in the uk fir a while and my mother is bringing them back by Eurostar. EurostAr were unable to help me much. Does anyone know which travel docs they need. Many thanks!


If they are 12 or over, normal Belgian eID cards, if they are under 12, Belgian Kids ID cards. Your commune should have been able to tell you this!

Your parents should also be in possession of a "laisser passer" letter of authority, indicating that the Belgian parent (presumably your spouse/partner) has allowed the children to travel with them - again your local commune should be the point of issue but only to a Belgian parent.

Sep 28, 2017 20:48

Eurostar cannot help as it s nothing to do with Eurostar what travel docs their passengers must have. Same rule EU wide, EU nationals can travel on EU passports or EU ID cards.

Photocopy of parents ID or passport and personal letter with travel companions, destination, duration, contact details.

Sep 28, 2017 23:51

They'll need a "valid national ID". If you are Belgian, then the ID card will do. If you're not Belgian, then a passport is necessary.

Also, there are no formal rules about children traveling without their parents, however, every commune in Belgium has a standard form that they will fill out and stamp / witness for you stating that you give your authority for your children to travel with a third party. I can't remember what it's called, but just go along and ask, they'll know what you are talking about. (It is often asked for by schools for example if they are taking your kids outside of Belgium, at least it was for all of my kids, at Belgian schools in Waterloo / Lasne.)

Sep 29, 2017 01:01

If you are not Belgian, a passport is not necessarily necessary, what a strange claim.

If you are not Belgian but another EU nationality (except ones without national ID cards such as GBR, DAN), then you can also travel on your national ID card!

There are indeed formal rules about travelling with children, just not in and out of Belgium.

Sep 29, 2017 15:34

SHORTOF, you're absolutely right, I answered a bit too fast.

But just to have the last word, I'll correct you as well, it's not just EU nationals, it's also EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and Switzerland.

Sep 29, 2017 17:01

Just a comment.
I am Swedish and my ex Belgian. I find it easier for my kids to travel on their Swedish passports so no consent is necessary from the Belgian. He usually waited to sign until the last minute, made what should have been a pleasant trip on holiday or to visit my parents stressful.

Sep 29, 2017 17:15

Presumably you have documents that will get them TO the UK. Well the same documents will get them back.

I always gave my parents a letter explaining that the kids were travelling with them. They never needed it.

Sep 29, 2017 17:47

Anon, I'm well aware of EU, EEA and Swiss. Norway has only just started doing ID cards, I'm still waiting to feel my first one!

Sep 29, 2017 19:41