The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

Child Benefit


What is the procedure to apply for child benefit in Belgium?
Thanks for any info


Apply to who pays you. Either CPAS or your payroll provider.

Jun 27, 2013 13:24

It's true that some times people could have easily googled the information they're looking for and see the results in seconds within the time they log in on xpats, add a question in the Q&A section and wait for someone to give them the spoon...

Google > apply+child+benefit+belgium, first result gives you the info:

But J still replies.. ;)

Jun 27, 2013 16:19

It is ironic though that to find the info in English you have to refer to a Dutch website :D

The child allowance is paid by your 'caisse d'allocation familiale' via the payroll in case you are employed in Belgium. The application is done by the father (unless the father is unknown or not employed in Belgium), but the allowance is usually paid to the mother. You can ask from HR/Payroll or find the info and download the application forms directly from here:

If you are self employed you'll be paid by INASTI, info in here

Jun 27, 2013 16:43

"The application is done by the father"
The application can be done by either, but not both.
If one partner is a Belgian employee and the other one is not (freelance / diplomat), then it makes sense to choose for the employed partner to apply for it, even if the children are tax-dependent on the other partner.

Jun 27, 2013 17:58

Actually weirdly enough it is explicitly the father who is supposed to apply, quoting the ONEM website. Only if the father is not part of the Belgian social security system (= not employed, unemployed,on a long term sick leave or on a pension in Belgian system) the mother applies. Similarly the allowance is paid to the mother unless otherwise requested or in case the child does not live with the mother.

Jun 27, 2013 19:24

If you're coming from another EU country and claimed child benefit there, they'll usually ask you for a special form from the other EU country to confirm no child benefit is now being claimed there for the same children.

Jun 27, 2013 19:31

Thanks for the helpful information.
Sheen, of course I looked at the link you took the trouble to post before I asked the question but I didn't find the information I needed there. What amazes me is that people take time to post comments like yours and search for links just to try to make a point about someone who is genuinely looking for information. Don't you have anything to do in your own life???

Jun 27, 2013 21:54

Ask your local Belgian sickness insurance or doctor.

Jun 28, 2013 14:16