Search form

menu menu

Car Registration Plates


Hello, I have just moved to Belgium and have started the registration process in the local commune. I have also bought a second hand car, but I cannot seem to get the registration plates for it, as apparently I am not in the system, even though I have a national number now.
Do I need to wait until the police officer comes to my apartment and then I get my national card before I am able to get my car plates?
Does anyone know any quicker way of getting my car because it is a necessity for me.

Thanks in advance.


The completion of the process of registering new foreign residents can take several months, even after the police visit, and you won't be able to register or use your "new" car until then.

You won't actually need your new ID card (which will take even longer to be issued), once the process is finally completed you can obtain a Certificate of Residence from your commune and the DIV will accept that along with your passport.

Dec 6, 2017 14:43

Check with your insurers. They should be able to give you some idea as to how you might be able to use the car straight away.

Dec 6, 2017 16:03

Your insurers will tell you that you cannot register the car with the DIV (and therefore use it) until you have an official address in Belgium. Alternatively, if the person that you speak to is less knowledgable, they will tell you to go to the DIV in person - without an ID card or a Certificate of Residence it will be a wasted journey. Note that the DIV will not accept the letter from the commune confirming that you have applied for registration even if it mentions your National Number.

Seven years ago I had a new car sitting at the dealers for almost 2 months waiting for the process to be completed, fortunately I still had my UK-registered car.

Dec 6, 2017 21:25

Funnily enough I have already made that wasted journey to the DIV. This is a disaster, this type of thing must come up all the time. I've already been renting cars for 4 weeks, guess I have to keep going. Thanks for your help.

Dec 7, 2017 08:18

Go to your commune as others said and get your residence certificate. With that you will be able to register your car and receive your plate. Be careful with driving license as well. If you are coming from a non EU country you must exchange in your first year of residence. its a process that will take 2 months and you are not allowed to drive within this period.

Dec 7, 2017 10:54

You can’t ignore the significance of fixing a number plate on your vehicle to be able to run it on road fearlessly, without breaking the laws. You can find out detailed information about personalized number plates at

Jun 12, 2018 07:56

If you ever move to the UK thse people can help register the car and obtain a number plate

Aug 5, 2019 19:21

The UK has a very strict approach to number plates although you can assign a private number plate to your vehicle through a registration broker:

Sep 30, 2019 18:20

Whilst I am unsure of the laws exactly in Belgium I can tell you that in the UK you can assign a number plate to any vehicle as long as your are not trying to make it look newer than it is unless you have a dateless number plate. More information can be found at

Jan 7, 2020 15:47