Search form

menu menu

Car registration



I already own a Belgian registered car and have ordered a new one. I intend to hand in my old car to the car dealer. To avoid paying road tax again, I will hand in the old car to the dealer a few weeks before my new car arrives. Am I right in assuming that I will have to return the current rear plate to the DIV and then request a new plate when the new car arrives ? This seems to me to be the only way to avoid paying another year of road tax


My understanding is that that isn't correct. You don't pay the "road tax" up front anyway, a payment demand arrives part way through the year, and that demand, which is linked to your plate, should reflect a part-year at the rate appropriate to your old car plus the remainder of the year at the rate appropriate to your new car plus the initial additional tax on the new car.

Dec 15, 2017 10:42

The road tax is payable pro rata, so if you hand in your plate, you'll get a refund for the unused portion.

Dec 15, 2017 11:48

You may keep your existing plate by registering your new car to it. Or you just return it to DIV and request and new place for your new car. It does not make any difference. Keep in mind that the tax will be calculated in this way
minus(Days remaining for old car)+ Tax to put in road your new car+ yearly tax of your new car.
Every time you register a different car in your name no matter new or used you pay again the tax to put on the road( Mis en circulation) plus road tax.
In fee words expect your first year to be double

Dec 15, 2017 21:15