- Daily & Weekly newsletters
- Buy & download The Bulletin
- Comment on our articles
Brussels terror victims' post-mortem reports stolen
The post-mortem reports of the victims of the March 2016 Brussels terror attacks have been stolen, Belgian broadcaster VTM Nieuws reports.
The Brussels prosecutor's office has confirmed that a hard drive was taken from one of its buildings last week.
The prosecutor said in a statement: "On the drive there were, among other things, various autopsy reports and medical examinations relating to ongoing judicial investigations."
A 27-year-old man was arrested last Friday in connection with the theft, which took place at the Portalis building on Rue des Quatre Bras, where forensics experts work.
According to the public prosecutor, the suspect denies any involvement - and has no known connection with the 22 March attacks at Brussels airport and Maelbeek metro station.
"We're not sure why these documents have been specifically stolen," said Philippe Vansteenkiste, president of the victims' association V-Europe. "It is rather incomprehensible."
Photo: Herwig Vergult/Belga