Search form

menu menu

Belgian Citizenship



I am looking to apply for Belgian citizenship but there is a potential spanner in the works. My birth certificate and passport don't match as I changed my name via deed poll some years ago. Will they accept my deed poll document as they would, say, a marriage certificate as proof of name change?

I guess it will need to be legally translated and certified as with the birth certificate?

Thanks in advance.


Ask your commune for advice. There will be a procedure for this.

Jan 12, 2021 22:34

If you are British, the Passport Office should be able to give you a document confirming the name change if the commune won't accept the deed poll. Also note that the Passport Office may offer you translated copies but these are not accepted by the Belgian authorities so make sure that you get English ones and get them translated by an authorised translator in Belgium. They require a court stamp, the translator will arrange that for you.

Jan 12, 2021 23:04

Thank you. I did contact the UK Passport Office and confirmation of name change is not something they can provide, apparently. I haven't started the process yet, but will do shortly - I also don't have my previous passports. I guess I won't know what to do until I submit my application.

Nov 5, 2021 16:16