The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

Property Registration Fees


Hi All, need some help. My wife and I bought an apartment in Wallonia back in 2009. We are now trying to sell it in order to buy a house, owing to a growing family... The prices haven't appreciated however and given the offers we are getting, we will have to take a hit. Do you know if we may be able to get a registration tax 'reprieve' on our next purchase? Any other advice would be very welcome. Thanks


The only reduction applicable to registration tax is limited to first-time buyers of properties whose RC is below a certain value, € 745 IIRC.

Selling prices may not have appreciated since 2009 but you have had the use of the apartment during those 8+ years which, presumably, represented a considerable benefit to you. You could, of course, rent, instead of buying a house, which is what many Belgians do - and you could rent out your existing apartment unfurnished producing an almost tax-free income.

Feb 13, 2018 21:03

The simple answer is unfortunately no.

However, as BECASSE notes above, you should probably talk to your mortgage lender. They may be able to lend money to you for a new property in addition to your existing one, assuming it is possible to rent your current one for at least the cost of the existing mortgage.

Feb 14, 2018 10:20

Unfortunately, only Flanders gives such a tax reduction and it is up to 12 KEUR only.

Feb 24, 2018 10:56