The platform for Belgium's international community

Search form

menu menu

F Card & Short Time Abroad


I'm a non-EU national in Belgium with a 5-year F Card based on legal cohabitation with my Dutch partner in Belgium, and work for a Belgian employer. My employer will send me on a short-term work project (3 months) outside the EU. I do not want to break my Belgian residency during this time, but am not sure of the requirements surrounding the time I can be outside the country and retain residency. Perhaps I can just fly back every so often. Does anyone have experience or knowledge in this area?

A second factor to consider. My 5-year card expires in April 2018. While my dates are not set yet, I will most likely be out of the country at this time on the project. Do you think they would renew my card before I leave?


HI, there!

On your absence in BE: accoring the law you can be absent up to 6 month and it will not be considered interruption of stay. But make sure that you stay registered wtih your commune ( I assume your partner stays in BXL for the preiod of your absence). if this is the case it would be easier to remain registered here and avoid any unnessesary problems.

As for the card renewal: either you will be prolonging your F card or applying for F+ card, I am afraid you will need to be present here physically to do this. But it might also depend on your commune - check with them.
If you plan to apply for F+ make sure you do it at least 5 months before your current card expires as the Minitry of Interior can review your application up to 5 months.
if you just renew your Fcard, you need to ask for prolongation 45 day before expiration of your current card.
You also need to pay attention that you return to BE before your current card expires oherwise you will not be able to return to BE.
you can find more info here:
Good luck,

Aug 21, 2017 15:20

Hi Denniss, what is your take for F+ application or directly applying for a Belgian nationality since this for both applications you need to have 5 years in Belgium.

Aug 31, 2017 15:44

Since the regulations are getting strickter and strickter, they tend to refuse those who apply for nationality with F card. Why try your chances and get potentially refused and start all over again? I would first go for F+ card and then apply for the nationality.
Besides, there was no question about nationality in the initial request ;-))

Sep 4, 2017 16:10

All the items have been produced for the good and all refined items for the candidates. The change of the infliction and best academic writing service uk as ensured for the percentages. The role is inquired for the suspected items for the removal of all the bad items for the candidates.

Dec 9, 2018 18:07

Can I simply just say what a comfort to find somebody that really knows what they're discussing on the internet.
You definitely understand how to bring an issue to light and make it important. coursework writing service uk
More and more people really need to read this and understand this side of your story. It's surprising you're not more popular since you certainly possess the gift.

Apr 7, 2019 14:28